I'm a Mormon.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

On the Way Home....


This is a CD that I've listened to a hundred times, not one of my absolute favorites, but one that I have and often gets played for its namesake, Dashboard Confessional. I love their 'early material' on The Places You Have Come to Fear the Most and such, but their middle CD where they took some big changes in their overall sound I never got really into. This of course is the rather notable A Mission, A Mark, A Brand, A Scar which made much of their popularity in the early 2000s. This morning however I idly turned on some music to get ready to and this CD happened to be conveniently located in my CD player already (it's been a dashboard sort of month I guess ;-] ) So as I listened to the music it all of a sudden had a bunch more meaning than I had heard from it. Not just song for song, but the album as a whole is quite the amazing story.


I LOVE the lyrics of all dashboard songs, and these ones are particularly potent, and thier story is so moving. As you listen to the album straight through you are indeed taken on a journey with the singer as he loves, lies, dies, and somehow fights through the sorrow to live and love again.
And as we see, the Dashboard Confessional goes on. That name in and of itself is a wonderful lyrical majesty. The song, “Sharp Hint of New Tears” speaks of driving home, and letting the car “hear my confessions.” Giving the idea that all these songs could be considered as though sung in the car, trying to choke back the sharp hint of these new tears, but being beaten with ease.
If anyone is up for some intense poetry just check here http://www.azlyrics.com/d/dashboard.html under the first three full albums, any of those songs will amaze you with amazingly poetic lyrics.

1 comment:

  1. Swiss Army will always be my favorite Dashboard album, but really it's all good stuff. I agree with you completely on the lyrics, they are so good. It's amazing how no matter what mood I'm in I can put on a dashboard song and it totally fits.

    ReplyDelete