I'm a Mormon.

Monday, February 9, 2009

I think I have the most biased dance teacher ever.  If I didn't love dancing so much I would totally drop that, I'm nigh unto offended by her ignorance.  She always gives reasons for what you should and shouldn't do while dancing, which is good, but I'm under the impression that she's going about it all wrong.  I would guess that an appropriate reason would sound something like, "This is the technique that has been developed etc, etc." or "keeping you hands like this helps your posture stay raised and it is the proper way to dance."  In fact I think the reason that "it's the proper way to dance" is reason enough, it's like english grammar, you just do it right!  My teacher however has decided to give us better reasons for certain dance moves.  Some of which include, "because, well.. that would just look dumb" and "... and guys don't do that because it looks really femmy, and you don't want to be femmy" or "... it would look like you were trying to eat your lady..."   ok, first of all, who even says that!?!  And what if I want to be femmy? okay, so I may not be of that crowd but there sure are guys who enjoy looking feminine, what about them?  can they dance like that?  And who made her the authority on 'coolness' and 'looking dumb'?  ......... sigh   I just don't like the way she words her excuses.  She's usually right about what should and shouldn't be done (although a lot of it is just pointing out the already obvious), but like I said, if I cared a little less about the class I might state a protest during class and demand some better excuses.  

No comments:

Post a Comment