I'm a Mormon.

Friday, June 26, 2009

Bring on the Rain

Today I took a drive. I would like to say that I just had nothing to do and a urge to burn gas so I drove around a bit, but that's not true. (I used to be able to like about simple things... I can't now). My sister Kacy was visiting and she needed to be taken to my other sister's (Coleen) house in Holiday, so I took the hour and a half to get her there. On our way there we saw a huge, dark cloud over Salt Lake City with quite the marvelous display of lightning. Not far into the valley we were greeted by the wind, dust, and eventually rain- rain that came down in intermittent sheets, like buckets being tossed out of a window above. We sat in the car in the pouring rain for a few minutes while waiting for Coleen to show up, then I left. It was about 8:30 pm as I was leaving, and while the storm clouds were still overhead the sunset in the west was peaking through creating a beautiful phenomenon known to most as a rainbow. Cursing myself for not having brought my camera I pulled into a radio shack parking lot to take a picture or two from my cell phone, then satisfied that I couldn't do much more continued driving home. Not long after, I saw in my rear-view mirror another beautiful scene as the sun, stretching across the entire valley was illuminating a now glowing neon green strip of the otherwise dull mountainside. Again overwhelmed with the beauty I had to take a picture. I soon pulled onto the freeway and began to drive when I noticed the far end of the rainbow I had previously seen. I followed its curvature as it faded into the storm overhead, but suddenly got starkly brilliant in one section before fading off above the ground. I quickly noticed that the same sun strip illuminating the hills behind were creating this disembodied arc-section of the rainbow. Both the far end and this small section were glowing so brilliantly, so bright, possibly the brightest I have ever seen. I note here my reaction, exclaiming out loud, "Oh my! That is BEAUTIFUL! It's- it's- the gospel must be true"

The depression of not having my camera was only deepened with the thought that I was alone in my car, a thought that goes deeper than just that moment since today I have felt very much alone. Tomorrow my roommate and best friend is going home for the summer, I will no longer have anyone to do everything with and am faced with the rigorous task of developing for myself new friendships, and deepening old ones. It's times like these when true character is displayed, and this week I have learned a little more about myself. Since Kacy was up for the week we had the chance to hang out a little bit, and more than once I chose to be with her, rather than enjoy time with my friends. While I was surprised after-the-fact at such a decision of mine, I wasn't at all saddened by it, nor regretful, but quite satisfied. Then again today in my moment of loneliness, having no one in the car with me I wanted to call a friend and share the moment, even if they couldn't see it. After a moments thought I knew who I wanted to call. (not just who I should or felt obligated to call, but who I really wanted to share this moment with... Erin Kristine Herd (my other, recently married sister). So I did, we talked, and it was good. I was truly able to share with her the moment, and she enjoyed it very much. These experiences have reminded me somewhat of who I am, I am a Murray, and I love my family. So bring on the rain, let the trials and loneliness roll, I have friends in high places who know when I need a rainbow. thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment