I'm a Mormon.

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Repetition

One thing that many of us probably realize, is that Sunday School lessons are repetitive. Not each lesson on it's own, but really... they only publish four years worth of lessons, after that it repeats, not to mention we learn the same stuff in seminary/institute too. That's not to mention YM/YW lessons, which vary only slightly every year, and how many times have we had talks given in sacrament meeting that were simply readings of talks given previously. What I'm getting at is that lessons in the church are repeated fairly often through various means. It is easy to go into a lesson hear the topic, and quickly recall important ideas or even quotes that you've heard in previous lessons on the same subject, a good sign that you're building up a gospel knowledge database.

Today in class we had a lesson talking about Zion's Camp and how the Lord sometimes chastises his people, the reasons for afflictions, etc. and I someone sitting near me made an important comment (one that is fairly commonly used is such a discussion, but one that I think is important to the topic) she's heard at a different time about the three sources of trials, others, our selves, the Lord (the comment was significantly more elaborate than that, but you get the idea). A few minutes later in the lesson I glanced over her shoulder and noticed the notes she had been taking for the lesson. I found it interesting that a prominent feature in her notes was the idea that she herself had mentioned, this 3-source idea. I do not doubt it's importance, nor am I saying that it wasn't an insightful comment, however I did have to ask myself if that was a note work taking.

What is the purpose of notes? I would say, note taking is to help you remember ideas from a lesson. If she knew that thought, used it as a comment to the lesson, clearly understands and knows the concept... why take it down as a note? Isn't the point of a lesson to learn something new? If all we are remembering are some key points that really touched us in one lesson and retaining those same ideas over and over again after hearing the same lesson, then we aren't really learning are we? Shouldn't we look at every lesson as an opportunity for further learning, not just regurgitating the past? I'm not saying I'm perfect or that this girl was wrong, I just think that there were more important ideas that should could have noted as new or more interesting doctrine that perhaps came from another student with good insights, or perhaps even the teacher who's been set apart as a teacher and even is entitled to revelation on our behalf (to a point)? .... just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment